Sunday, March 16, 2008

Jared's work family "picnic" day

So my new job with Copper State Bolt and Nut had their annual family picnic day. I felt a bit awkward going since I know about 5 people and there are hundreds of employees over a dozen branches. One thing I really like about this company is that is isnt a huge corporate head that doesnt care about its employees and just numbers. As far as I know they have always done this big event, as well as a Christmas party. It was held in Scottsdale at the Pullman-Stillman Railroad Museam and Park. They have old rail cars all over the place, some open and you can walk through restored cars. They have a playground that is fully covered in shade and is the largest palyground I have ever seen. This place probably covers 20-30 acres and has small to huge pavillions and ramadas, and small grills with a bench or two scattered all over. There were birthday parties everywhere, corporate parties like ours and fully catered. Our catering crew was also the entertainment, games for kids, races....rock climbing wall, bounce house, face painting, and a small real steam powered train to pull people all around the park for $1 for a 5 minute ride. It was thickly treed over there. Eastside Phoenix and Scottsdale is a different type of city from what we are used to at all. SO much established parks, buildings, homes and mom and pop businesses. I have finished doing my sprinklers basiclly. I still have to do the drip lines, but I will wait until I have the trees and plants to know where to even run lines to. Tuesday afternoon I have the concrete curbing guy coming to lay down the curbing that will surround the grass from the gravel. Right after that we will get sod delivered for $.32 a sq. foot for fairway golf course grass. I still have not decided on what trees or plants or even where to get them. I want to go to a wholesale nursery and get everything for cheap, but I might have to arrange delivery and most definately digging and planting them. There is a large retail nursery that is used 90% of all homes around here called Moon Valley Nursery. They deliver, dig and insure for 1 year for a very decent price. Blah Blah Blah. This last picture is Lily running around the palm trees by the lake just a few minutes south of here at Estrella Mountain Park, where we first wanted to live. Its 75-80 degrees and the grass is green. Come on down.

6 comments:

Sunny said...

How come you get to visit the largest 'palyground' ever, when I don't even know what that *is*?

Anonymous said...

Silly Sunny,
A "pallyground" (Jared misspelled it)
is a big chunk of ground where you go to be with your pallys!--mel

Jill said...

Glad to see that Jenny finally could venture out for a while. Cabin fever sets in big time when you have a newborn. The compare pictures below are amazing. It is like the same kid!

Sunny said...

PS - I forgot to mention how great you look at the paly ground, Jenny; good job!

Nick and Lauren said...

Lily is growing up so fast! I'm glad to see you guys are doing well. Adam never tells me when you guys are in town so let me know next time you're up this way.

Anonymous said...

I'm cracking up at the pictures! Hope we can see the little rascals soon (no, not you Jared/Spanky)