Friday, November 21, 2008

The downfall of over-building in Arizona

This is Jared. For the first time since we have had a blog that I want to rant about something. One of my first complaints about Arizona was the amount (99.8%) of national chain stores and the lack of mom and pops, atleast in the newly added and growing west side of Phoenix. it all grew so fast and commercial strip malls pop up everywhere, that only national chain stores can act fast enough to move in and not give small locals a chance. Out here, every 3-5 miles, the same mini mall strips open up, and it gets very monotonous. Target, Ross, Sports Authority, Office Max, World Market, Best Buy, Famous Footwear, PetSmart, Toys R Us, BevMo, Marshall's, Chase Bank, Bank of America, AppleBees.....I could go on and on. but if it isnt this strip, then it is a Walmart, TJ Maxx, Big 5 Sports or Sports Chalet, Staples, Pier 1, Circuit City, Shoe Pavillion, PetCo, Babies R Us, PartyCity, Mervyns, Chase and B of A again, Chili's....And this repeats every 3-5 miles. As we all know alot of national chain stores are dying because of the current market. Out here all the Circuit Citys are closing, including the one 2 miles from our house that was built 6 months ago. In that same strip 80% of the newly opened stores are closing, Circuit City, Sports Chalet, Bevmo, and Mervyns are all closing, leaving partyCity and Toys r us and babies r us all alone. 2 miles away there is a Chase, Bank of America and Jack in the Box. Right behind our house is a Chase and Bank of America and...a jack in the Box. This all makes me not care about these businesses. Why do they feel they need to be this accessible is beyond me. Stores like this are causing themselves to tank, to much overhead and not enough people that live w/in 2 miles of a jack in the Box can keep it afloat. So let these big box stores die, atleast somewhat. Let GM die a bit and reorganize, not everyone wants to buy a Buick or a Chevy HHR. We dont need 170 choices of American cars. Of course there are jobs to consider and I feel for those people, but I have been laid off enough to not care as much as others. Things need to change from what they used to be, evolution of commercial is constant, what if we were still doing business that same as 30 years, 20 years ago. let things change and quit bailing out these companies. There...I said it. I know I have some typos and capitalization errors, but I did this in 10 minutes. Edit note- I came back after having this up for the day and jenny got all heated up about what I said. I was not referring to the literal collapse of GM and these companies and what it will do to the economy, I was just talking about their business models and ideas. If all the GM employees (2 million something including dealerships, mechanics, factories...)lost their jobs, that is 60 billion dollars a year that the US would not receive in taxes/income and I know it will effect us all. My idea goes for new home builders too. Everything out here is HOA master planned communities, even with the HUGE surplus of houses, Taylor Woodrow and everyone else is still building new homes, keeping my 1 year old house worth $60,000 less then when I bought it. I have to remember that they have contracts and investors and have to see these devolpments through. There are lots of smaller devolpers that have gone under and have left dozens of empty streets, parks and walls all over and that leaves those who bought their homes with a community that is unfinished and leaves it open to another company to come in years later and change everything. OK I am done. I just really had to vent.

5 comments:

Jesse Harris said...

I lived in Vegas for 14 years and the strip-mall phenomenon is just as bad there. That said, you could still find local institutions (Capriotti's, Blueberry Hill, etc.) if you spent some time exploring.

Unknown said...

You are correct sir! All these companies went to the same business school and heard the same boring ideas. When markets turn south, so do their boring ideas.

Unknown said...

You are correct sir! All these companies went to the same business school and heard the same boring ideas. When markets turn south, so do their boring ideas.

Jenny and Jared said...

Soooooooooo, Thanks Jared, for that insight. However this is NOT one of those blogs.

READERS: read on to hear all about poop, sippy cups, and all things cute. (I'm kidding)

Anonymous said...

Jared! I am so proud of you!! You got POLITICAL!!! --mel