Friday, November 7, 2008

Out and about in October

...Or Rocktober, as I call it. This is part one of a two part series of the fun stuff we did in October, the next post will be about the fun stuff around the house in October. There was lots of fun stuff to do, which is why the fall is always my favorite time of year. Maybe it's because August and September are always so boring and I'm sick of summer.
So in October we went to the big African zoo and to the little family farm pumpkin patch that I already posted about. We also went to the Phoenix Botanical garden to go to a Butterfly exibit thing. The had hatched a ton of Monarch butterfly's which were living in an enclosed garden area until they were to be released a few weeks later. Lily wanted to wear her butterfly dress, which was appropriate, especially since it was like 95 degrees. The butterfly's were cool, but we did see a couple dead ones, which was a bummer. She liked the Lily pond. This is a cool cactus-tree thingy.
We went to a city get-to-know-your-neighborhood event. There was a new fire-station open house there, too, where she could put on a kid size fireman outfit, play in the truck, all kinds of stuff. I thought Lily would be thrilled because she loves fire trucks, but when we got there she froze up and would barely get out of her stroller for this picture. I think it was the fireman kareoke guy that was singing a really loud rock song about not riding in the back of trucks. There was all kinds of free fun stuff, including face painting, she got a ghosty on her arm, cotton candy, and balloon animals. She asked for, I kid you not, a snake. HAHAHA. Luckily the guy made a cool coiled up snake, not just a long skinny balloon. Here is a picture of us with some cowboys, I think my dad will appreciate this, somebody better, because I felt like the biggest dork when I was taking this.
We also went to the regular Phoenix zoo one last time for awhile. Our year pass finally expired, we definately got our money's worth from that. Our last trip I actually went to a whole section of the zoo I'd never even been to before out of the gajillion times we'd been there. Here she is on the cactus slide.
Lastly was Halloween, we went trick or treating to a few houses around the 'hood. We'd already gotten a lot of loot from the trunk or treat at church. It was so hot, like 80 degrees and both kids were so sweaty. Jack was a grumpy bear so I had to hold him the whole time and Lily was scared of everything so I had to hold her hand, so we didn't really get any pictures while we were out. She had fun though, and roared at every door.
So that's it for all of our events in October. I know there was a total lack of Jack pictures in this post, but that's because he was a grumpy bear every time we went anywhere. The next post will have loads of Jack pics, he seems to be happiest cuddling at home, like me.

4 comments:

Eric Petersen said...

Hey Jenny,

Nice cowboy pic! For some reason the video doesn't work. I can't wait for part II.

Shauna said...

The video works for me. It's SO cute! I laughed so hard when Lily shrieked and ran away from the duck.

Charlie said...

Too cute!! 95 degrees in October, huh? I don't think I could live in AZ from April to October then. You guys need to come back to Utah so I can play with your kids.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! You all look like you're having a great time. I'm at Camp Buerhing in Kuwait right now, about to head north to Camp Ramadi in Iraq in about a week. I'll publish some good photos when I get some respectable internet. Take care, miss you guys!
-Lee