Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Second Quarter Report

Spring!

The end of the school year was action packed.  Lily decided that she wanted to participate in the Second Grade Talent Show.  This seemed terrifying to me, but she's an awesomely brave kid.  She came up with the idea of doing a science project, so I helped her come up with one that she could demonstrate all on her own.  She took a bowl of warm water and put dry ice in it so that it would fog. Then using a piece of cloth and bubble solution made a bubble that stretched across the top of the bowl.   This made a big bubble which grew and grew, full of the fog, and eventually when it pops it looks really cool.  While watching the bubble grow, she talked about carbon dioxide, frozen gasses, soda and pop rocks, etc. When it was time for the show she wasn't nervous at all.  She did an amazing job and everyone there ooohed and aaahed and cheered.  Everyone loved it.  (sorry about the low quality pictures, I clipped them from video, which wasn't very good either.)

Afterward she was invited to do it in front of the whole school in a couple weeks!  She was thrilled and did just as well in front of hundreds of kids.  Everyone (even 6th graders!) told her afterward that she was the best one.  She was very proud and so was I.

Jack had a Kindergarten graduation.  He was also very excited about it and was as cute as can be.  I got a kid's tuxedo at a used kids clothing store.  He wore it and looked very fancy.

He sang his songs and made funny faces.  It was very fun.
Jack is a good little student.

He liked his teacher, Mrs. Smartt, a lot.
For the last couple months before school got out Lily asked me for a water party on the last day of school.  I think it was mostly so that she could listen to cool music with her friends.  She had a playlist all written out.  We sent out invitations to all of her and Jack's friends, but I wasn't sure how many kids would show up.  We ended up with about 25 kids in our backyard, running around and going crazy.  It was a chaotic, good time.

Lily had her dance class "Sharing Showcase".  She was beautiful and did a wonderful job.

The best part of all was that afterward, I found the mom of a little, special needs girl that was in Lily's class.  I told her that I was very grateful that Lily had the chance to be in her class, and to learn that there are more important things than having everyone dance perfectly.  She told me that she was wanting to find me and tell me that Lily was so kind to her daughter throughout the year.  I could not have been happier.

My winter garden started to pay out.  I planted it in February with plastic over the top.  I neglected it a few times and the leaves were little icicles.  They defrosted and kept right on growing.  I have romaine lettuce, peas, kale and carrots and all of them are delicious.

I started my summer garden indoors, too.  Most of them were not as successful in the long term, but hey, I'm learning.  I learned its worth $3 to not spend months watering tiny sprouts.


I made this cool screen door.  I absolutely love it.
We played in the gutter.

One day the kids washed the van for hours.

In the rest of the family's accomplishments, Jared has been working on the attic steadily and I can't wait to put up a post with all the pictures of that, it's amazing.  Annie and Junie have both grown up very much over the past few months, you can read about that on their individual birthday posts.

It's been a good spring.  Busy, like usual, but good.

No comments: