Indeed, it is true, from my heaviest to now, it's about 50 pounds, and that's certainly not counting pregnancy or immediately after. That fat picture isn't even at my heaviest, you could probably add another 15 lbs on to that. I started walking last spring in Arizona when I got our double jogging stroller and amazingly I've kept it up. When we moved back to Utah I started going to a tough class that involves a lot of strength training and cardio and that's helped me lose a bunch, too. I work out HARD 4 or 5 times a week. We're also trying to just have healthier hobbies, Jared and I got bikes and a bike trailer for the kids.
I've been eating really, super healthy, including a cleanse and I cut out all white foods (sugar, white flour, rice, potatoes, etc) for the last month. I drink a gallon of water a day, I try not to eat after 7 or 8, I don't eat processed foods, I've started making my own wheat bread (Jared and the kids love it), and generally being really conscious of what I eat. I know I can't maintain that forever, the goal is our trip to Hawaii at the end of this month.
None of my clothes fit, which is good and bad. Even the pants that I'd been holding on to hoping would fit someday are all too big.
Here are my biggest pants which once fit snugly.
Here are my biggest pants which once fit snugly.
This last Saturday I ran my first 5K. I did it because I'm going to do a half marathon in August, and I wanted to try out a little one to see if it was something that I would like. I was really nervous because even though I've been jogging for a long time, I always just focus on time and my heart rate rather than distance, so I wasn't sure if I could do a 5K, which is 3.1 miles. Jared and I went for a jog and used GPS to measure the distance and we did 7 miles without much difficulty, so I knew I was good to go. I was still really nervous anyway, because I thought that everyone would know that I didn't really belong there and everyone would make fun of me, nobody said anything, which is good. The night before I had 3 different race dreams, it was weird.
The morning finally came and it was terrible weather. It was cold when we started and as soon as we started raining it started to rain, then sleet, then hail. As I was running my head and hands were freezing and I was soaking wet. At the end I was totally steaming. I did good though and didn't have to stop or walk at all and kept up a good pace the whole time. It wasn't hard at all and I actually had a good time. At the end I got a massage and free soggy french toast. It took me about 2 hours to finally warm up after I got home.

I'm pretty proud of myself even though I still have more to go. I started trying to be healthy to be a good example to my kids. I read somewhere that if both parents are overweight that kids are something like 80% more likely to be overweight, too, which scared me a lot. Being healthier and having healthy habits we are able to have a lot more fun together. I have a lot more energy and confidence, even though I'm still embarrassed to post this.

This video is awesome, I'm coming in next to an 8 year old girl and an 80 year old man. HA!



20 comments:
Jenny...you are amazing!!! I am so happy for you!!
This is Jared. I am so very proud of Jenny and her drive and desire. I thank her for keeping good quality foods in the house and not having processed and precooked foods. She always makes good meals for us and the kids. But when the day happens that she goes from Whole Wheat Flour to using shards and chaf of buckwheat and you have to grind your pancakes with your teeth, she will be cut off at that point.
Hooray for healthy! :-) I had to laugh at the comment that you were afraid people would laugh you out of the race. I would feel like that too. :-)
Jenny you look amazing! Wow. You've inspired me to be a better example of healthy eating to my kids. I miss you hot mamma!
Jenny! I a so proud of you. You are amazing. I am officially inspired. You're a hottie boom bottie.
Awesome! You look fabulous! Which 1/2 marathon are you doing? I think everyone I know is running one.
I have to say though, I really hate when I'm reading posts like this with a Vanilla Coke in my hand.
Jen, I don't need to say it. I know everybody is proud of you but I am pretty sure I am the happiest. I saw your blog and started crying.....I am pregnant with lots of crying hormones. I am so happy for you. I am looking forward to loosing my baby weight and working out with you when we are together. I only wish we lived close so that we could be work out buddies. I have wanted a sister work out bud for years! Good for you. This will help your family. Dad affected my life by him eating those crazy wheat muffins and biking every Saturday. It changed my life.
Jenny! I'm so proud of you!!! You look terrific and your family is benefitting as well. You are an inspiration to me. Keep thoose blogs coming, girl. I can't afford to come to Utah and this helps me feel a part of things with you all. Marleen
Dad's crazy muffins! He was alway overzealous with the spices and they would make your tongue numb! Awesome! Good job, J; you're a powerhouse.
love you Jen your great and i very proud of you...keep it up love always Dad
WOW! You look AWESOME!!!! Way to go!!!!!!
Jenny, You ROCK! You are so inspiring. Congratulations! You look GREAT!
25 more days :-)
Ok, thanks for all the comments everybody, I got all choked up, and I don't have any pregnancy hormones like Hannah. I just found out from jared that he sent an email out, for the record I didn't tell him to send it. Thanks for the support everyone, it helps me out a lot.
AWESOME Jenny!! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your 5 k! I remember being really nervous about my first 5k too!! I think this is a great post! And that is awesome that you took charge of your life like that and have such great goals! Hopefully someday when Trent and I visit Utah we all can go running and biking together! And you should totally look into triathlons, they are so much fun!
Yeah for Jenny!!! I smiled as I read this post, because I can relate. I was really nervous to do my first race not because of the distance or anything, but because I thought people were looking at me thinking it was obvious that it was my first time and that I didn't belong. Also....a 1/2 marathon!!!! I can't believe we haven't talked about that.
You look awesome! You sound awesome, and you are AWESOME!!
Jenny, That is a great post! Lucky for us, I am the only fat parent! Jen did say the other day that she thought she was "Skinny Fat." I guess that means that you are not heavy weight wise, but you can still be unhealthy. Anyway, you are an inspiration. We would love to join you on any of your healthy hobbies (hiking, biking, camping....) Oh, and you are welcome to drop by anytime with some homemade wheat bread!
woot woot! way to go Jenny, so proud of you becoming a gym rat with the class you are taking and all the running you are doing,,
The pics are amazing, Jenny. I am proud of you because I know how hard it is to lose weight. What's even harder, though, is keeping it off. Keep up the good work. BTW, we love the blog and depend on it for keeping up with the growth and activity of the kids (& you & Jared). Keep that up, too! We really miss you all.
Congrats Jenny! You look awesome=)
Wow! You look amazing!!! You are such an inspiration!!! Great job!
Post a Comment