Monday, January 4, 2010

Jared's new little boat

This is Jared. So I have always talked about sailing ever since I have left Oklahoma but havent been out in atleast 12 years. For those of you who dont know me that far back, I grew up sailing in Oklahoma on the beautiful and crystal clear Lake Thunderbird. I was 8 when my dad bought our boat and we went out alot on it. From the point of graduating High School to 19, I spent ALOT of time on it. I would get off work, grab a Subway or something, drive to the lake and sail all evening and into the night, anchor in some cove close to the marina, wake up in the morning for work and repeat 3-4 days in a row. After deciding that we/I needed to get some hobbies, I started looking into a small daysailer, under 21 ft. I wanted something small enough I can set up, launch and sail by myself and take out friends and family. So I put up a online ad in the sailing section of KSL.com of my criteria and a guy in SLC emailed me back. So this boat is a 16ft racing class called a Coronado. it has the rigging for someone to trapeze out on higher winds. The guy who had it before me bought all new ropes, pulleys and cleats but never put them on. he also replaced the lights with LED's, new winch and new tongue wheel. Right now it is this faded baby blue color with the weirdest and dumbest name of "No Way Monet" So my plan is to sand it, a quick layer of hardener resin and paint the bottom gloss red and the top white. The picture of the white one is one that was restored and sold on KSL for $5000, so I can make a profit down the road whenever I sell it. So come late Spring anyone who wants to go out to Utah Lake can come with me. I'll need someone willing to get in the trapeze and hang out. I havent taken pictures myself of the boat since it has a tarp on it and snow is everywhere. These are from the guy I bought it from and assuming his wife.

6 comments:

Meredith and PJ said...

Boy, you have been away from Oklahoma way too long. They don't call Lake Thunderbird "Lake Dirtybird" for nuthin'. But I'm sure it was totally tongue-in-cheek.

Meredith and PJ said...

And it's true, the name is pretty gay. Glad you're changing it, even though it's bad luck to do that with a boat.

Jenny and Jared said...

"Lake Dirtybird"...tee hee hee, maybe it's named that for another reason. I told him about the bad luck thing, too, but I think it's not bad luck if you re-christen it. We'll have to get a bottle of faux-champaigne or something.

Hannah Petersen said...

I think you should change the name to "no way jose".

Jen said...

very cool. very, very cool.

Jenny and Jared said...

What about the Sooner Schooner? I mean it is a schooner I guess. Something Mexican would be funny since I like to make fun so much, The Dirty Sanchez would be a good laugh, maybe El Hefe...