Sunday, January 27, 2008

Bad news

Well people, it's happened. My worst nightmare since moving to Arizona. The thing that I think about at least once a week and dread, has finally happened. Jared got laid off, again (this has happened with a few other jobs in the past). No more job. Apparently his company had a bad quarter and laid off 15 other people in one day and more to come next week. Jared was the newest and most expendable. They were also coming up on the biggest quarter they have ever had in Arizona, 12 bridges in 2 months, which adds to the confusion of it being the right choice for them to make. As always, they said that it was not performance-based and it was just about the numbers and they'll gladly give Jared good references. This is the biggest problem with working for the man. Your life and your whole families lives are in someone else's hands. Even if you're a good employee, it still doesn't mean you'll have a job.


We're screwed, we have a mortgage, no savings, a baby coming in 4 weeks, and in about 5 weeks, no health insurance. The good news is that his health insurance will at least cover us for the delivery, if the doctor still is wanting to induce me early, if he doesn't, we're really screwed. I'm having a baby in our dirt back yard. (Side note, more perfect timing, we got a letter from the homeowners association, apparently we have to get our backyard in, like 4 months ago). We have to figure something out fast though, because a baby has so many appointments and vaccinations and stuff, that even if he's completely healthy and there are no problems, he'll still cost hundreds if not thousands in the first couple of months. Frickin' babies...

We're going to start looking into government programs. I pay taxes for a reason. I'm going to just walk into any government office (National park service, FDA, whatever), point to my big, 8 month pregnant belly, and say "Gimme my check, suckas". Jared's going to start looking for a job, which sucks so bad, and we should be fine. I'm surprisingly not freaking out as much as I should, I think because we've been through this a couple times before, and also because I literally think about it all the time, since it's one of the worst things I can think of happening, at least financially. By the way, in case you're thinking it, no, we're not leaving Arizona. We are definitely stuck in our house. With the market down, we'd lose a butt load of money, even if we could sell our house. If we were renting.......it would be a totally different story. (Right is Lily sleeping in her high chair. I put this here to document it, it's the first time this has ever happened. She didn't take a nap that day because she was so hopped up from our first play group.)

Other sad things, the same day Jared got laid off, Lily and I were at Babies R Us, Lily was riding in the main basket part, like she does all the time (I know they're not supposed to do that), she saw some toy or something and before I could do anything, completely bailed out of the cart. She fell flat and screamed bloody murder for about 5 or 10 minutes. It was embarrassing. She bit her tongue and it was bleeding, which made the whole thing look much worse than it was. I thought she'd fallen on her butt, but about an hour after we got home, I saw a huge unicorn horn growing out of her forehead. It's now a big target, a big blue bruise with a yellow center, it's sooooo sad. You can see it a little in this picture. Needless to say, she will be safely strapped in from now on. Sorry, Lily.

Not so sad news: Lily said "Thank You" this morning, with no prompting whatsoever, it was pretty cute. Also, it's raining today, which is nice, and all week it's been beautiful weather, about 68 every day. We went to the zoo on Friday to cheer us up (since we have the season pass). Lily's cough and runny nose have finally started going away after a month, we saw a Dr. and found out it was a sinus infection and bronchitis. We got new fabric softener and it smells really good. Sorry, I'm trying to think of anything that is not super depressing so we don't leave everyone feeling sorry for us. The picture to the left will cheer you up. Lily now has to have her towel "hatty" after every bath, it's pretty cute. She tends to add a "y" to the end of lots of words, "up-y", and sometimes "help-o". It's funny. See, even if bad things happen, at least we're all still healthy and happy and have a great and wonderful family and friends.

7 comments:

Jen said...

OH NO - HOW SUCKY!!! Good thing you put in all those cute things, I almost started to cry! But--- yeah, bring it all on.. unemployment, medicaid, WIC - chaCHING!

Seriously? A back yard? I thought it was all dryscape anyway.. dah.. you already have that ;). Look at all the water you've been conserving!

Keep us posted! We love you guys!

Lee said...

Hey, so sorry to hear about the bad news. However, I'm keeping you all in my prayers, and know this: God has a funny way of showing his love for us sometimes, but he'll see us through no matter what!

Anonymous said...

To get some gub'ment dollas, all you gots ta do is tell "da man" that yo baby daddy jes' lost him job, and you'll get some dem dollas FO SHO!
(Jenny, seriously, you crack me nuts.........I'm glad you aren't freaking out. Jared can handle anything if you are doin' good, so keep on truckin' sista!)

Anonymous said...

Dudes, sorry to hear about the job, that sucks worse than the Jazz and Peyton Manning on the same night! Keep on keepin on though, you guys rock and will land something soon. Okay suckas, peace out!

Dirtius Wifius said...

Hey cuz, I totally feel your pain. Brent was laid off right around the time I found out I was pregnant but I think it turned out to be a blessing. I'll keep you in my prayers!

julieannepapa said...

I am so bummed for you guys. When it rains it pours huh. My guess is that Jared will find an even better job though. He seems to be able to do anything so I'm sure he'll get hired soon. It's hard when we can't see what the plan is. Hang in there you guys. We'll pray for you.
I am soo sad for Lily's little head. Good pic though. That should definitely find a nice spot in her baby book!

Jill said...

We'll help with the yard, just point us in the right direction. And, if chocolate chips will help you with any food shortages that may be impending, I happen to have a TON from a random sale I happened onto...feel free to load up.