Although I've been waiting for years, it ended up being kind of a rush. I got a swinging deal that I had to take advantage of by the end of ROcktober, but because of my swine flu and other stuff, I went in for a consultation and the next day had surgery.
It was pretty scary (even with the valium). I ended up doing what they call PKU, which is where instead of cutting a flap, they burn of the skin of my eye with acid, then laser it. This was better for me since I like to rub my eyes (seriously, I love massaging my face and rubbing my eyes really hard) and also because I can still be a fighter pilot or astronaut, which... you never know, anyway, the recovery is longer and it's more painful, I guess. Jared watched the procedure and said it wasn't that bad, but even though it didn't hurt, I
wanted to scream and run out of the room.
wanted to scream and run out of the room.The next couple days were a nightmare. It was excruciating and didn't seem like anything was helping with the pain. I took Lortab, but it made me really nauseous and I barfed a couple times. So I had to decide if I wanted to barf, or I wanted my eyes to catch fire inside my head, it was terrible. I stayed in my little cave room for two solid days with my eyes shut barely being able to move at all. I missed Halloween, which totally sucked because I've been looking forward to it for like 3 months. Jared took pictures though, I'll post them next time.
I'm on day 4 now. I'm no longer in any pain, but my vision is pretty blurry (still healing) and my eyes are super dry and scratchy. I have to use drops like every 10 minutes and they're the expensive kind.
So that's it, you can start calling me "Eagle Eye" or some other cool vision related nickname. I don't even know what that means, I just don't know how to end this post. Sooo...anyway.........
2 comments:
Hey Maverick. (I'm Viper, Hannah can be Kelly McGillis). So - I watched you birth a nearly 10 lb. baby with not a single hint of complaint. I've seen you brave 'America's Funniest Home Videos' after having your abdominal muscles cut from hip to hip - without complaining of the pain. I've seen you kicked in the face by a Kentuckian roller-skater, and you tried to hide the blood from all of us! When I saw you the other day, you scared the crap out of me. I couldn't leave because I was afraid you were going to quit living. Please don't ever have surgery immediately after recovering from a serious illness again. I love you.
Jenny!! Hooray!! You can see like the best of em now!! Finally, you sure deserve it! You'll enjoy a whole new freedom you never knew you had! JM had the same procedure a few years ago. It was so hard for me to see him in so much pain, and for over a week! But once he fully recovered (and his eyes grew back!) he has loved it ever since. And he, two was excited to still have his back up fighter pilot option open! Glad to see you getting what you've been wanting for so long! Sure miss you guys! XOXO Nauni
Post a Comment