Thursday, June 25, 2009

First Tomato

Just before we moved to California our first tomato in our garden became ripe. I was very excited, since garden tomatoes are one of my favorite things in the whole world. Lily was a good sport and tried a bite. She didn't like it but was still enthusiastic. Here is an excerpt from the childrens book "First Tomato" by Rosemary Wells about a bunny who is sent to pick a tomato for her mama. "A ruby red tomato is hanging on the vine. If my mother didn't want it, the tomato would be mine. It smells of rain and steamy earth and hot June sun. In the whole tomato garden it's the only ripe one. I close my eyes and breathe in its fat, red smell. I wish that I could eat it now and never never tell." I hope someone in Arizona is picking them and they're not rotting on the vine. The thought of it brings a tear to my eye.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Jenny Lou, I just made two loaves of zucchini bread from one of your huge zucchinis. We also made 6 batches of salsa from all of your matos. We literally got 1 whole bucket full. :)