Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Botanical Gardens trip

Jared Here. For Valentine's Day we went to the Phoenix Desert Botanical Gardens. It is where the high society old folks go, and us about once a year. Last time I went was with Hannah, almost 2 years ago. By itself it is an amazing place, but this trip was to see a special art exhibition. Chihuly is his name and blown glass sculptures is his game. His work is well known and travels all over the country. This was by reservation only, no walk up tickets, and Target was having a free 3 day weekend. I am not going to explain each picture really, but the setting was so cool, like some of these pieces were made just for this place. When we first got there, there was a tall lady from a circus greeting everyone. She was very very nice and talked to Lily for a minute. There were also contortionists and other circus people, a really amazing balloon artist and a great kids craft area. After a while we met up with our friends, the Bacigalupi's, ate lunch, and spent a lot of time seeing the displays that were scattered over a couple dozen acres of intensely manicured desert landscape. Also remember that you can make these pictures bigger by clicking on them.

2 comments:

Sunny said...

LUCKY! Though I am the least artistic person you know, I have followed (sort of) this guy's work. He's amazing! I'm so glad that you were able to take the kids to see it in person!

Hannah Petersen said...

I wish I was there with you. I loved our trip there.

Hannah