Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Last minute Oklahoma visit.....

This is Jared. Bad news in the family, my dad died last week. I want to say a bit but not be too personal for a blog. He was a month shy of 65 and he died of bear claws, maybe chili. He had been in and out of hospitals for the last 6 months or so for various congestive heart failures (I like to call them salt OD's) The last time he crashed a little too hard, passed out and his heart quit beating and he went w/out oxygen for about 5 minutes. After he was brought back all of his organs started to fail, lungs filled with water and were constantly getting drained off. We were all talking about DNR (do not resuscitate), but he made the choice a bit easier for us all and went on his own on Weds. morning. We flew in Weds evening and had the funeral on Saturday morning and left 7am on Sunday to fly home. It still hasn't hit me much, I have had a few whimpers, but haven't had any major balling moments. Maybe that's due to me being insensitive, or just not being around him for the last 12 years. We never just called to chat and I was lucky to see him once a year. He got married again 6 months ago to a nice lady for him, he has been happier during that time than the last 5 years combined. I wasn't able to go to his wedding, due to the 5 day notice and it was also his 6th wedding. At the beginning of his funeral his church had a slide show of their wedding, a woman I never met until the day before, in a church I have never seen, a wedding I never went to, and feelings for her and this church that I had no part in. Nothing felt like my dad and it didn't feel like his funeral. I didn't even cry until I saw my sister Beth's kids crying. (she died 3 years ago). We had a good time with friends and family for the short time we were there, even went to the Medieval Fair which is a monster of a crowd. Also my sister said that we have a nickname for Jack. Her boy pointed out that there is a Lego character named Jack Stone. Everyone in my family has a nickname, and they think Lego is the one for him.

9 comments:

Lucy said...

Sorry for your loss!

Gina said...

Sorry again for the loss of your pops. On a lighter note.....is that winged dragon holding a stein of ale? Classy.

Sunny said...

J - I love you. Did you and your daughter inherit your identical scowls from your dad? I certainly hope so.

Mrs.EBG said...

Jared I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. We lost Bryant's dad last year just 2 weeks shy of our wedding. It's tough. Please let us know if there is ANYTHING you guys need!

Anonymous said...

Jared, sorry to hear about your loss.
(This is Joe Anderson from Noble. I got your blog from Anissa.)

3csmom said...

Jared,

My heart goes out to you! We lost Greg's dad last summer. It sucked! You have to take one day at a time!

Thinking of you,
Anissa Scott

Nick and Lauren said...

Sorry to hear about your Dad Jared. Glad to hear ya'll are doin' good.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jared, Jenny & kids! This is Jody. Brad & I were glad to be able to visit/see your little family and to be able to see little Jack for the first time. He is so cute. Lily is getting so BIG and just as cute as can be. The pictures of the two kids, they look so much alike that there are only little differences, the pictures almost look like the same baby. It's going to be cute watching them get older and how they react to each other. Lily may be standoff-ish right now, but she will have a best friend soon. I just wished our visit could have been on better circumstances than the funeral. I think of ya'll often and wish that we lived closer so we could be a bigger part of the family...but distance makes that hard sometimes. Hang in there, there is sleep on the horizon for the entire family....My love to all. Brad,Jody & Faith

Anonymous said...

Jared, drop me a line at joe.anderson1@mac.com when you get a chance and we can catch up on old times.