Friday, November 7, 2014

A Vague Memory of What Happened This Summer

I hate when I fall off the blog wagon, because I want to catch up (for the book that I publish), but it's gotten so far away that I don't even remember what happened.  Luckily I have photos to remind me, so this post will mostly be pictures, with some vague memories attached to them.  This post is extra difficult, because this last summer seemed so busy and fast that I really don't remember much.

I had the fever to get out of town, but we were never really able to do it (besides Moon Lake), so we did some backyard camping.

After camping out a couple nights, Jack and Lily decided they could do it on their own (with a baby monitor, for safety).  I was impressed, I think they went to sleep better in the tent than they do in their beds.  I can't wait until all the kids are older and they'll be great little campers.
(PS, I ended up going out with them around midnight, I was too nervous.)

Jack is the wackiest poser in the world.  There are about 15 of this picture; Jack contemplating his s'more in slightly different ways.

This one he needed everyone to have donuts on their heads for some reason.  I love how smug he is that he can balance it.  (It's because he's got a giant head and his hair is often poofed up in the back like a nest.)

Another highlight was going to Timpanogos Cave.  We went twice.  The first time was just me, the big kids, and Papa.  I hadn't been for a couple years and I always forget how much I love it.  The hike up is incredibly beautiful and the cave is a great reward for the calories burnt.
 The kids are the perfect age for it now, it wasn't scary at all.  We had a pretty girl tour guide basically all to ourselves, so Jack just talked her ear off the whole time (he LOVES talking to pretty girls and has no shyness whatsoever).  They both had really insightful questions about minerals,  animals, formations, and Jack even brought up carbon dioxide's effects  on the cave at one point.
We went to the cave again a few months later with our pals, The Papas, who were visiting from California.  We did lots of other fun stuff during their visit; went to Thanksgiving Point, rode bikes, played games, ate lots of good food.

We had a lot of visits to the Springville library and splash pad.  We also did a lot of swimming lessons and 7 peaks.  Lily's hair got ruined, we have to use special shampoo and conditioner and it's still not the same.

 Sometimes we'd go to SOS Drug with an old-timey soda fountain after the splash pad.

Springville Art City days was fantastic.  It's really fun living so close to downtown that we can easily walk to the festivities.  The kids rode on one of the small roller coasters, they are still not into it, although, they ARE smiling.

We went to the balloon festival, and like usual, they didn't launch due to a slight breeze and the kids were crabby and tired all day.  At least we got free donuts and milk.

The 4th of July was great.  We splashed in the pool at Grandma and Papa's.  Papa gave Junie her own little bucket to splash around in.
 We ate ice cream cones with the cousins.

The kids got sneaky with the poppers.

The children's parade was fun, as usual.  I love dressing up like a dorky mom and I have no shame.  The kids decorate their scooters and the wagon.  We were walking next to a mom that had built and amazingly ornate float, and halfway through her kid was crying about having to go to the bathroom and she was yelling the whole time about hurrying up, waving, etc.  I loved it because I could see myself so much in her, and I was so proud of myself for not making a float (and having the obligatory meltdown) even though I would love to.
 We went to a movie.

Flew kites.
Went crazy around the house.

Snuggled whilst reading books.

Walked to 7-11 for Slurpees.

Went to the Farmer's market a couple times.

I planted flowers in our pots, killed them, planted again, killed them, then planted again and they finally worked.  We also got sprinklers installed, which started as a fiasco (we got ripped off, lesson learned), but they are life-changing and great.

Jared took the two big kids to a racing event.  We got a lot of pictures of Jack doing awesome poses in front of cool cars.

We went to a small monster truck rally.  We've done the big, expensive Monster Jam in Salt Lake City a  couple times and this one was a hundred times better.  We were front row, hardly anyone was around us, and the trucks really went for it.  It was very loud and little Junie didn't like it much, but it was really fun, anyway.


Though the summer was kind of a blur, I do remember that fun was had and I love having the option to do whatever we want.  Super Duper Summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the pics. I love that you do this. I love you. --mom