Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Boring January

January is my least favorite month. It's too cold to do anything fun outside and there hasn't been fresh snow to play in or anything fun going on. I've been working on trying to find stuff to do, but there's not much.
This is what happens when you're bored. Those are blueberries.
We went to see Yogi Bear in 3D. The kids first 3D movie and probably the first movie for Jack, maybe second for or third for Lily. Note Jack's finger.
Near Lily's preschool there are lots of things to see. Trains, construction, cows, sheep and best of all, horses. We've stopped to feed and pet the horses a few times.
We've fed the ducks a few times.
Here are the kids in a giant chair at Cabela's.
Part of January is also resolutions, right? I've said before that I'm not a goal setter, I make lists of tasks all the time, but this time I've actually set an official goal. It's to get all of our home videos edited by the time the baby comes. This is a big job since I have 3 years of video and it takes a ton of time.
The other project I'm working on in preparation for the baby is organizing. I've emptied all the closets and reorganized stuff and sold stuff on KSL. I've been deep cleaning and painting some cabinets, too. I love it. It's my hobby. I think it's my nesting instinct.
Jared's got a new hobby to work on. He got himself a fancy ukelele and is working on learning to play it. So far he's learned a few chords. I'm excited about it.
Lily's been really working on her art for awhile. She spends a lot of time drawing (mainly horses) and gets carried away with it. One morning she let me and Jack sleep in way too late and we were late for school because she'd been drawing for an hour or so by herself in the morning.
Here is Lily and Ruby playing a board game.
Jack's is focused as ever on cars and trucks. He's also for some reason been really into the days of the week for awhile. The first thing he says when he wakes up is whatever day he thinks it is. Sometimes he's right. At night when he's stalling to get in bed he says "Mom, wait. Ummmm, Thursday?" Then I can't resist and we have to go over what the days of the week are and what tomorrow is.
For Christmas we got some "reindeer food" from a friends party that your supposed to sprinkle outside on Christmas eve. It was oatmeal and glitter, pretty cute. A few days later the glitter and oatmeal had turned into a sick mush and when Jack saw it he said "Eeew, Reindeer barf!" It was hilarious. He's also started to say "Eew, that stinks!" when I give him kisses.
We switched Jack to a big boy bed...again. This time I really hope it works, so far it's a struggle. I'm just hoping that he doesn't go outside on the deck at 2 am like he did before. We might have to take more drastic measures if he does. Bungee cords, perhaps? He's been resisting potty training, too. Man, are kids different. He's a stubborn little fella.
To make up for these struggles, he's so frickin' cute I want to cry and laugh at the same time. Today at church during the prayer I looked over and to make sure he was being good. He tilted his head back and peeked at me through squinty eyes like all kids do when they're supposed to be closing their eyes. His arms were folded but he stuck out his fist and gave me a thumbs up and nodded. I don't think he really knew what he was doing because his thumb was only halfway up, so it was more of a "black power" signal. It made my whole month, it was so cute. I hope to keep that mental picture in my brain for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Jack is at the cutest stage ever right now! Both of your children are so, so sweet; you guys are doing such a wonderful job as parents!

Dirtius Wifius said...

I'm also feeling the effects of being stuck inside. The kids get so bored!

Your kids sure are cute. I should make more of an effort to get together with you guys, eh? :)

Besides there not being much going on, January is also the month of sickness. Or one of them anyway. Bad combo.