Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Funny, funny, funny

The kids have grown up so much this summer, it's crazy. We're putting clothes in the storage boxes like crazy. I think both Lily and Jack have grown at least an inch each. I have a ton of funny stories that I've been saving up for awhile, and I have to record them so they're never forgotten. Annie has grown up a ton, too. She's 6 months now. She's a champion roller and is making her way around the room, which is bad news for me, since I have to clean up more. She's just started sitting up although she falls over as soon as she gets distracted. She just had her first sit up bath and splashed and splashed and loved it. She's eating baby food and she loves it. She's got beautiful white/blonde duck fuzz growing in and still has blue eyes, I'm amazed. She has much lighter coloring than the other kids. She's a pretty much perfect baby, except in the sleep department, where we are still struggling through 2 wakings per night. Other than that she is still the sweetest little baby ever. She just smiles ALL the time. As soon as anyone talks to her she smiles so big it seems like she might explode.
Here she is looking concerned by the camera.
This picture really accentuates the cheeky's. Here is the big smile, plus peaches and prunes. The funniest thing that has happened and the hardest that I've laughed in probably months was this morning. Jack was being so sweet and helpful and wanted to feed Annie some puffies (little soft cereal puffs, she just started eating them). She feeds herself so they don't all make it into her mouth and sometimes come back out. Jack started to say "Oh Annie, here's a puffy" but he didn't make it through the sentence when he started to gag. There was a soggy puffy stuck to her that he was trying to pick up and feed to her, but apparently it made him sick. It was so sad and funny, because I don't think he quite understood what was happening, he just kept trying to talk. "Oh Annie, here's a... GAG....here's a... GAG... puffy....GAG... Mom....GAG... GAG...GAG... He actually puked up some of his shredded wheat he'd just eaten, but didn't know what to do so he just swallowed it. I was laughing, but tried to distract him and finally made him go sit in his seat. After a little bit I said "Jack, that's called gagging. Was that soggy puffy gross?" And when he thought of it, he started to gag again! It was so funny I was shaking but trying not to hurt his feelings and he looked at me and said while smiling "My eyes are all watery." It was so funny and sweet.
Swinging through the sprinkler.
Jack just started preschool. I was a little if-fy about it at first, and so was he. He's just started to like it, I think it's boosting his confidence. He's improving with the potty training, this has been the worst potty training experience EVER! It's been a huge struggle, but for the last week he's been using the toilet with only a few accidents. Who knows, though, next week we might be starting all over again for the 1000th time. I must admit though, I think it's 80% my fault, maybe more. Besides that, he's the cutest, funniest little boy that has ever lived (not that I have any other experiences with little boys, but I can't imagine any kid being cuter or funnier).
Here he is on the first day of school.
One of the great things about potty training is that he loves peeing outside. He wants to pee any time he's outside, even at inappropriate times. We were at the Denver Zoo in the middle of a huge crowd waiting for a sea lion show to start. I looked over at him and he had his pants around his knees getting ready to pee right in the middle of the huge crowd! I was startled and shouted too loud "Jack, NO!" which then caused everyone to turn and look. I than had to say "Sorry, he's potty training." Everyone had a good laugh, including some lesbians that made some remark about how it's not fair that boys can do that. Sadly that's not the only time that's happened. He also decided to pull his pants down in the middle of the playground at the school right when all the kids were coming out and I had to run to stop him mid-stream. At the fruit stand he peed in the dirt parking lot and I couldn't stop him because I was carrying a giant box of pears. There were a couple other people that saw him and thought it was hilarious, so at least it brightened their day.
He's at the age where he says the craziest, funniest things all day long. While in Denver, he was making chocolate chip cookies with Hannah. He wanted to taste everything that went into them, including the baking soda. Hannah warned him that it would be gross, but let him taste it anyway. He said that "it tastes like vegetables."
I bought some pretty paintings at a farmers market and decided to try and frame them myself. I bought a mat cutter and what-not but it turns out I'm an idiot and can't measure or cut a straight line. I was working on it and Jack was asking me to do something and said "Will you do it when you're done with you're homework?" Homework. haha.
Today I said a toy train was wobbly on the train tracks we were playing with, and he said "Ya, wobbly like Grandma."
Here he is making a fruit loop necklace. Lily started Kindergarten. I can't believe it. I know everyone says that, which seems ridiculous because she's been alive for 5 years, it's that time, but it's really wacky for me to think that I have a school age kid and that my baby is going to school. What's great is that she's going to school in the exact same kindergarten room that I went to. It's exactly the same, even the smell. She was a little nervous to go, but I was definitely more nervous than she was. Once she started, everything was just fine, and she's doing wonderfully. Here she is on her first day.
She's even reading entire books all by herself. Her favorite is Jog Frog Jog.
Now that she's gotten so smart, she's a little sassy, too, which I actually love, because it's in a sweet, funny way. On our trip home from Denver we stopped at Wendy's. I ordered some kind of sandwich and it was not good. The lettuce was the the gross white/clear iceberg lettuce that's 1/2 inch thick and wet. I was in a bad mood after driving for a long time and I gat mad about the lettuce. Jared offered to take it back for me (I'm too big of a wuss) and I said OK. Lily looked thoughtful for a minute and said "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit" which is something she learned at preschool and we say it all the time when the kids don't get what they want. We had a good laugh and I had to explain that sometimes I can ask for new lettuce.
Here she is at her desk on the first day of school.
One day Lily, Grandma and I were going somewhere and when we were got in the car I was looking for the keys and I said "Where are the keys? Do you know where the keys are?" Lily said "I'm not in charge of the keys. Grandma's not in charge of the keys. YOU'RE in charge of the keys." It sounds rude, but she was joking and it was hilarious. (Jack says it "uh-larious.")
We're really excited for Halloween. Lily wants to be a bat and Jack wants to be a monster truck. Lily was talking about what day it was, and said it was the 4th of Halloween. Hehehe.
The other day something really scary happened (don't worry Gina, it turned out OK). Lily was playing with these little, egg shaped, slick magnet toys in the bedroom while I was folding laundry. She suddenly made a funny sound and leaned over the bed and looked up at me with this crazy, scared face. I freaked out that she was choking and I grabbed her, picked her up, flipped her upside down and started smacking her on the back. Nothing was happening, she was silent, and I was full on panicking. My mind was racing and I didn't know what the right way to help her, was it upside down smacking or the heimlich? So I started doing the heimlich, but I was panicking and just picking her up and she was flopping up and down! Finally I was thinking "Oh my gosh! I need to call an ambulance!" I stood her up and shrieked in this crazy voice that I can still hear in my head "Lily, are you choking?" All calmly and annoyed she said "No! I swallowed my cough drop." HAHAHA! I'm laughing so hard as I'm typing this, because she was so floppy while I was swinging her around. She had gotten a cough drop from my mom and I didn't know and apparently swallowed it and it hurt. It was so scary and so funny, I went back to folding laundry but my hands were shaking so bad I almost couldn't do it.
I know that's a lot of stories but that's actually been edited down because there are crazy, funny things going on all day, every day. Ok, maybe not all day, but a lot.

1 comment:

Sunny said...

My guts hurt! This is the best post EVER! I teach CPR/First Aid, and I tell the magnet-emergency-turned-cough-drop-hilarity every time; everyone loves it. Your kids are the best. Well, aside from yourself. I love you!